Required Changes for 2017 and the Most Common Mistakes
If your employee handbook hasn't been updated in the past six months, it's out of date. And the expected flood of workplace-law changes coming in the Trump Administration will demand constant compliance vigilance from HR. Here are some current handbook trouble spots:
- Rewrite your anti-discrimination statement to include sexual orientation and transgender discrimination, based on new EEOC actions.
- Your social media policy is probably out of date. Here's why you need a new policy on smart devices.
- A few wrong policy words may be illegally restricting employee discussions on pay and benefits.
- Vague policies on overtime and off-the-clock work can trigger million-dollar verdicts—especially with the new overtime rules in limbo.
- Benefits and FMLA policies should be updated to reflect the new rights of same-sex married couples.
- The latest DOL rules on nursing mothers require changes to your leave and break rules.
- Your leave policies need to be updated to include time off for employees with military relatives … and to prohibit moonlighting while on FMLA leave.
- If you're a federal contractor, there's a new pay provision you MUST add to your handbook.
- Your ADA reasonable accommodations policy needs to include the EEOC's changing view on accommodating pregnant employees.
- The wrong words in a loyalty, no-gossip or civility statement could land you in court.
Your employee handbook can be an invaluable organizational tool … or an employment lawsuit waiting to happen. And in recent years, Congress and state legislatures have been busy enacting laws that directly affect your employee handbook. If you haven't kept up, you could find yourself in court.
On Thursday, January 26, join nationally recognized author, educator and attorney Anniken Davenport for her popular interactive webinar Employee Handbooks: Required Changes for 2017 and the Most Common Mistakes.
Join us to find out how the new trends and regulations affect you. In this fast-paced 75-minute session, you'll discover:
- Up-to-the-minute HR changes to add to your handbook
- What NEVER to tell employees after their probation period ends
- How to avoid "the accidental contract"
- 12 handbook errors that will get you creamed in court – and how to avoid them
- Things that should be in a handbook – and things that SHOULDN'T
- And much, much more!
You'll learn practical, easy-to-understand tips for spotting mistakes in your employee handbook – and exactly how to fix them. Because this is an interactive event, Anniken will also answer all of your handbook-related questions.
So don't let your once-helpful employee handbook become your organization's worst enemy. Join us on January 26 for this dynamic and insightful presentation!
Pat DiDomenico, Editorial Director
P.S. Registration Bonus. If you register for Employee Handbooks, you'll receive Bullet-Proof Your Employee Handbook, our Special Report that shows you how to fix the 10 errors that lurk in almost every handbook.
P.P.S. Extra Added Bonus. You'll also receive one month of members-only access to HR Specialist: Premium Plus – our comprehensive electronic information service at TheHRSpecialist.com. Premium Plus features online compliance self-audits, over 100 forms and checklists, plus Ask the Attorney (responses to your employment law questions). So that you continue to benefit from Premium Plus, we'll continue your access automatically for just $99 per quarter, unless you tell us "no, thanks" – your choice.
P.P.P.S. We promise you'll be satisfied. If Employee Handbooks fails to meet your needs in any way, we will refund 100% of your tuition – every penny you paid – but your course materials, bonus report and website access will be yours to keep. No hassles, no questions asked.
CD Recording & Download: $197
Webinar, CD Recording & Download: $297
Since this is a webinar, you and your entire staff can attend in the comfort of your office or conference room for one low price! You may include as many people as you wish while listening on a single phone line or computer. Contact us for multi-site discounts.
About Your Speaker:
Anniken Davenport is a noted employment law attorney and the editor of the HR Specialist state employment law newsletter series. She has authored several books, including Bullet-Proof Your Employee Handbook and Overtime & Other Tricky Pay Issues, published by HR Specialist. She is the co-author of the upcoming Labor & Employment Law for the 21st Century by Prentice Hall. Anniken has served as a professor at Penn State University, where she taught business law and HR management, and she directed the Legal Studies Program at Wilson College. Her legal career includes representing government units in discrimination and other
employment law cases and representing school districts in labor negotiations.
You'll receive Bullet-Proof Your Employee Handbook. This Special Report – one of our all-time best-sellers – shows you how to fix the 10 errors that lurk in almost every handbook, so you can safeguard your organization against devastating litigation. Priced at $39.95, its true value is beyond calculation. And this download is yours – IF you register today.
Extra Added Bonus:
You'll also receive one month of members-only access to HR Specialist: Premium Plus – our comprehensive electronic information service at TheHRSpecialist.com. Premium Plus features online compliance self-audits, over 100 forms and checklists, plus Ask the Attorney (responses to your employment law questions). So that you continue to benefit from Premium Plus, we'll continue your access automatically for just $99 per quarter, unless you tell us "no, thanks" – your choice.
||The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institute's® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
||Business Management Daily is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.